Friday, March 22, 2013

I WILL and I WILL NOT

Now that we are officially done,(even though we don't leave until Monday) I have been thinking about all the things I will and won't miss about being in Ukraine. Here are a few of them

I WILL NOT miss driving on the messed up roads here.
I WILL miss being able to park anywhere I feel like it, (sidewalks included)

I WILL NOT miss not controlling where I go and when.
I WILL miss having a personal driver.

I WILL NOT miss feeling like I don't understand a word anyone is saying.
I WILL miss the amazing experience I have had, being forced to sort of learn a new language.

I WILL NOT miss feeling lost whenever I leave without my driver.
I WILL miss spending 9 weeks exploring Ukraine and other places in Europe.

I WILL NOT miss trying to navigate the Metro.
I WILL miss being cool enough to say I CAN navigate the Kiev Metro!

I WILL NOT miss trying to decide if I need a 'Packet' when I check out at the grocery store.
I WILL miss trying to tell them I want a packet while checking out at the store!

I WILL NOT miss all the emotional ups and downs of this journey.
I WILL miss the wonderful blessings and self discovery that has come from all those ups and downs.

I WILL NOT miss the bland food.
I WILL miss the opportunity to try new foods.

I WILL NOT miss having to say goodbye to my kids on skype.
I WILL miss the excitement on my kids faces when we called them on skype. Its great to feel loved.

I WILL NOT miss the weather in Kiev.
I WILL miss the weather in Italy!

I WILL NOT miss the strange smell that is in every dome (apartment building).
I WILL miss the experience of living in a dome.

I WILL NOT miss hanging my laundry to dry on the balcony or by the heater in the bedroom.
I WILL miss the tiny amount of laundry I have had to do.

I WILL NOT miss the tanks full of carp in the grocery store.
I WILL miss the raisin filled crackers I can buy here.

I WILL NOT miss the lack of Netflix and Hulu.
I WILL miss not watching so much TV.

I WILL NOT miss cramming us and all our luggage into a 2x3 elevator.
I WILL miss having an elevator to ride in.

I WILL NOT miss feeling the stress of being away from my family and my responsibilities.
I WILL miss being away with my husband and girls without any real responsibilities.

I WILL NOT miss living out of a suitcase.
I WILL miss traveling the world.


I WILL NOT miss seeing how many children are lonely and need families.
I WILL miss getting to know those kids, and seeing them smile when you talk to them.

These are just a few of the things I have been thinking about. I am sure I could keep going. This part of our journey is coming to an end (thankfully). It has been an amazing few months and none of it could have happened without the fabulous support of all our friends, family and people we haven't even met.
We will be forever grateful to all of you that have been there with us throughout this journey. It has been fun to share with you all of our ups and downs. I know that I have been frustrated along the way, but honestly I wouldn't change a thing. We wouldn't have reached this place without everything that has happened.

We know that the real journey is just beginning. Life for our family will never be the same. While we are all very excited about that, I am also scared out of my mind. I pray everyday, that I will be shown the way. I know with all my heart, that the Lord will continue to be with us every step of the way. I hope you all will as well.
Because this is just the beginning.......

No comments: