Thursday, March 14, 2013

Everything Is Still Going As Planned!!

We have been busy, busy, busy since I last posted. After arriving in Kiev I was driven down to Balta to pick up Anastasia. I had heard all about the farewells at other orphanages and expected to have something similar at my girls school. But sadly that wasn't the case. Our facilitator had to sign some papers and then Anastasia and her friends cam out to the van where she said a quick goodbye to them before she got in and we drove away. We spent a few more hours in Balta then headed on another long drive down south the the girls home town of Tarutyna. We spent the night just outside of Tarutyna in another small town (only this one had one hotel) in a freezing hotel room. Anastasia and I were bundled up in blankets trying to stay warm. It wasn't quite as bad as the room Mike and I stayed in, but it was close!

The next morning we collected the original birth certificates and our new ones with Mike and I listed as the girls parents as well as a few other things from Tarutyna. It was quite a depressing town, and we spent most of the day there sitting in the van waiting for our facilitator to do everything he needed to. I am so grateful that he is here with us, I am not sure that I would have any idea what I was doing otherwise!
After the paperwork for this town was completed we went to say goodbye to the girls brother and father, who live in a "care facility" in town. I say care facility because that is technically what it is, but it isn't any place that I would want to end up living when I get old. We found the room that they were in and when we entered I wanted to throw up, the smell of urine was so bad. I had to try really hard to not gag the whole time we were in there. The room we entered into had to twin beds along the wall but nothing else. we then entered the next room, which was more a hallway between rooms, and there sitting in his wheelchair was the girls brother. He was very happy to see Anastasia and they embraced for a long time. Behind him in a small bed was the girls dad. He was clearly bed ridden and seemed to not know what was going on at all. It was so sad to see him in such a place. Anastasia did not speak to him, I think she just knew he couldn't respond. She just very lovingly placed her hands on his cheeks and and stroked his face gently for a few minutes. I am not sure what he understood, but I think he must have known she was there because I noticed a tear run down his cheek. We took a few pictures for the girls to keep and before we left their brother spoke with a very sad Anastasia. I am not sure what he said but I think it helped her feel more relaxed and at peace with leaving.
I was worried about going to visit their family, because I thought that maybe it would make Nastia want to stay here, but my thoughts while I was there were just that I am grateful for the love that was clearly shown to the girls while they were growing up. It has made them who they are and I am hopeful that because of that they will be able to make a better transition into our family.
Since our visit, Anastasia has been a little more open and affectionate and what feels like willing and prepared to leave with me. I am grateful for that.

After the visit we headed down to Izmail to do more paperwork. After the long bumpy ride we made it to the orphanage and waited (Nastia was very excited) for Olena to come out. It was so fun to see them see each other for the first time in years. Lots of hugging and a few tears.

We went with Olena to finish up some paperwork then took her back to the school so she could collect her things.
This morning we took a ride one last time to Olenas school and signed the last papers and said good bye to all her friends. We were all excited to be together. We finished up some things in Izmail and drove to Odessa.
We applied for passports (where we were yelled at by an angry Russian lady for apparently cutting in line! I kept telling her that I didn't understand her but she was so mad that she tried to stop us being led, by the people that worked there, into the office) and background checks (since the girls are 14 and older)and then we were brought the the apartment that we will spend the next 6 days waiting for the passports. Luckily we are in Odessa and not Balta!! There is apparently a lot to see here, and we need to do some shopping for clothes for the girls to get them through until we make it back to America. They were not allowed to leave the orphanages with anything. Olena had to change into clothes that I had brought with me before we could go!
So if there is anyone that has some gently used clothes that are about a size 1 or 2 pants and size extra small or small tops, we would greatly appreciate a donation!! Getting wardrobes for two new children is going to be very difficult.
We will need to make one more trip to Balta to De-register Anastasia from her school before we pick up the passports, then we will drive to Kiev and start the final step of getting our visas and exit interview. Then we can COME HOME!! Not long now, I am so excited!!
Right now I am sitting in my room listening to the girls in their room giggling with each other. I am not sure what they are laughing about, who knows it may be me, but it is a great sound.

On a different note, I was talking with my good friend Amanda and our friend Daniel (who is Russian and was translating for the girls) on skype tonight, and Amanda asked the girls what they are most excited for when they come to America? They replied, "I don't know, we already have what we have waited for!" That almost made me cry!! I held it together though :) I am so glad that even though we are taking them away from everything they have ever known and going to a place that for Anastasia at least, will be scary and a lot of hard work, they are just happy to have a family! our family!!! That is the best reward of all.

Oh I have pictures of stuff (Nastia is a budding photographer and has been snapping pictures all day!) that I will post as soon as I can get them to upload, technical difficulties!  Sorry!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie
I find this whole story completely enthralling.
What a wonderful adventure for these lucky young girls.
You are going to have some tough times ahead in the coming years but good on you for what you are doing.
Uncle Ron

Children With Passports said...

Wow, so Olena was not even able to take the clothes she was wearing? I guess we should plan on that! Should we bring anything for the orphanage? And did you happen to see Svetlana and give her the photo album and journal?

MarenDille said...

It sounds like everything is good. I'm so relieved for you! Can't wait for you to get back with the girls

Maurin Family said...

Thank Uncle Ron. Yes we are expecting some hard times with them and with our bio kids as well. But it will all be worth it in the end.
Kim, YES plan on bringing something for her to wear out of there and for the coming days ahead if possible. Its kind of a pain to have to try and buy clothes. I knew they wouldn't have much but wasn't prepared for them to have nothing!
Yes I saw Svetta and gave her your pictures. We talked about them for a minute and I made sure she could say everyones names. I told her that you were all really nice. She seemed very excited to see you all. I took pictures of her with your gifts, and will post them as soon as I can get them uploaded.
Maren, I am so excited to get them and me home and back to some kind of normality. Thanks for reading about my adventures guys!!

Children With Passports said...

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!!! I hope everything is smooth sailing here on out!

Maurin Family said...

Kim, I forgot to tell you that we did bring a giant bag full of donations for the orphanage when we came the first time. I don't think they expect anything, but we felt like we wanted to do something for them. So I guess my answer is if you feel like you want to bring something for the orphanage, then you should. They definitely always need stuff!