Sunday, March 17, 2013

I Love Sundays

I thought that since today was Sunday, and it has been a while since I have been in a town that there was a church, I would attempt to find somewhere to go.
lds.org has an awesome meetinghouse finder that allowed me to be able to find a branch to go to this morning here in Odessa. I was all prepared to have to catch a bus to be able to find it, but luckily for me it was just around the corner, only about 10 mins walk away.

I got up and got myself all ready before I woke the girls (they had gone to sleep pretty late last night). I told them to wash their hair ( I have to remind them to do this) and get ready to leave for church. While Olena had already attended church with us once before, Nastia has never been to a Mormon church, I was a little concerned how they would both respond. 
We headed out for our little jaunt across the main square and found the Branch building all locked up. I looked at the time and we were early, but only 15mins. I didn't really understand why it would be locked but I thought, "let's just wait a minute and see if someone comes!" I am so glad we did. A super nice young adult girl came and asked me if the Elders had invited us today. I explained that I was here from Utah and while I was a member the girls had never been to church before. She was very welcoming to both me and the girls and explained that they were actually having a District Conference today at the Hotel around the corner. She had just parked her car and was about to walk there with her mom when they spotted us. She showed us the way, and we were introduced to some Elders and a Senior couple that we sat with. I had a wonderful Ukrainian man named Sasha sit behind us and translate for both myself and the couple.
I know I said this last time I attended the ward in Kiev, but these people are AMAZING. There testimonies truly inspire me. They are wonderfully strong and it is fantastic to see the joy they receive from attending a conference like that. I have to point out that I asked the girl that showed us the way, if it was a big conference and she replied that it was. I guess to someone like me it wasn't a lot of people (there were less people then in our ward) but to these amazing saints a group like that, together, is huge! They are the pioneers of Ukraine.
The talks that were given were inspired. There were talks about building the kingdom and strengthening families, but my favorite, the one that hit home and made me grateful to be there, was given by a beautiful older lady. I didn't catch her name or what her calling was, but she spoke about how children are a blessing from our Heavenly Father. That we as parents have the obligation to love and care for them always. No matter how old they are. There was a lot of talk about how important families are and how we can be with our families forever. I know that the girls were listening to at least some of it. There were some funny things said and they were laughing at the appropriate times, but I don't know how much they truly took in.
Today was kind of a long first church experience. I hope and pray that they will still be willing to go once we get home. I am truly grateful that I was able to find the church today and that someone was kind enough to lead us to where we were supposed to be. I am grateful for the spirit that was felt and for the testimonies of these Saints.

I have noticed that for the last couple of days, Anastasia has been really grumpy with me. She watches TV and laughs and laughs. Her and Olena run around joking and playing. When I go into see them, she sits quietly and wont look at me unless I make her. She will hold my hand and hug me if I ask her to, but most of the time she just looks miserable and won't talk. She called her friends after church, which I hoped would help her mood. She talked for a while with them, laughing and joking. It did help her for a little while, then she went back to being upset again.
Olena told me she was annoyed with her for being so grumpy. I explained that while she has been waiting and preparing to leave for 6 months, Nastia only met us a matter of weeks ago. This has been a whirlwind experience for her and she was not prepared. I am not upset that she is being grumpy, I just wish I could help her fell better.
I asked her if she was mad at us for taking her to America. She adamantly said NO! But I am not so sure. I keep telling her that we love her and that we are so happy that she is in our family and that she is coming to America.  But nothing helps. I occasionally get to see a forced smile, but only when I tell her to. I wish I knew how to make her happy.
If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them. I know I can't rush it, and I am not trying too. I just want her to understand that we only want what is best for her.

Tomorrow should be our last day of just waiting around. Then we will be heading back to Balta to finish the paperwork there. Maybe once we are moving around and not just stuck in a small apartment, Nastias mood might change. Wish us luck!

2 comments:

Children With Passports said...

She might feel like once you get to know her you won't want her, and she is waiting for that to happen. She might even say she hates you, but only because she thinks you won't like her eventually. I think she will warm up, but I think it will take time.

I am so worried about Svetlana, she doesn't know us . I had a dream she came here and asked to go live with someone else. I woke up crying. It is such an emotional time.

Also she is a teenager. I think we should create a support group. I know we are going to try to find a counselor for Sveta, someone she can talk to.

I'm sure she is nervous and overwhelmed. Prayer is probably your best source right now. You are doing Awesome! You are doing what is right! You CAN do this!

Stina said...

You are amazing Debbie. I love your story about going to church. What a powerful experience, especially for the girls to attend in their own country.

I'm really glad that your girls have each other and are coming together. You are an incredible person Debbie. I'm so happy for this road you have chosen and know that if anyone is capable--it's definitely you. Trust yourself and your choice. I'm sure it will be hard, but I know that you and Mike can do it. You are both amazing!