Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Fear Doesn't Stop Death... Its Stops Life

I have been thinking a lot over the last few days. I felt like I needed to share a few thoughts with you all.

I found this on someone's facebook page:

The events over the past several days have sent a fear surging to the bottom of my soul. My heart aches for those who have personally lived this horror. I fought tears this morning as I sent each one of my children off to school. It seems easy to be brave if it is me who might encounter something so horrific... compared to the thoughs of my children encountering it. These thoughts are paralyzing! With all of that said I came across this saying...

 Fear doesn't stop death... it stops life. Here is to taking a deep breath, focusing on good things. Here is to starving my fear of its energy and putting that energy towards being a better mother. Here is to taking a deep breath, being brave and being grateful for every moment that I am a mother --- Jackie Moretensen

I echo those words. Over the last few days we have all been rocked with the tragic events in Connecticut. No one ever expects to have to lose a child so horrifically, and to lose 20 all at once is unthinkable. I mourn with those families that lost loved ones. I applaud the bravery and honor of those teachers that so selflessly gave their life in protection of those young children.

Each of us with children, sends them to school each day with the thought that they will be safe. I think after these events, our perception of safe, has become very different.

I understand that this tragedy could have taken place in any town, or any school in this country or across the world. I understand that even in my small town in Utah, a tragedy like this could possibly occur. What a scary thought.
But, As sad as we all are, we can not allow these kinds of tragedy's to rule our lives. We can not allow fear to take over. That is exactly what Satan wants from us. He wants us to focus on the terrible events of the past, and not get out of bed each day to live. Don't let him win.

Instead take a deep breath today. Get out of bed and focus your energy on being a better parent, focus on all of the many blessings in your life. Focus on the beauty that is around you instead of the sadness. Focus on making life better for all those around you. Service is a great way to focus on what really maters. If we were all to do that, imagine what a great place it would be to live!

I am truly grateful today for the blessing I have of being a mother. It is the hardest job in the world. But, I wouldn't have any other one. I get to hug my kids and tell them that life is still great, I can teach them that bad things happen, but that we are strong enough to overcome them. I get to teach them that life is a blessing and to not waste the moments we have together, because we don't ever know when this life will end, and that's ok.

Olena has seen tragedy in her life like I can not begin to understand. Tragedy's that have affected her outlook on life greatly. Tragedy that has taken away hope and joy, and replaced it with loss and sadness. I was not there for that. I was not able to hold her and tell her life was still good. I was not able to teach her that she was strong enough to overcome her losses. I was not able to show her that love can conquer all. She does not yet believe that.
But, I can help her learn that now. I will soon be able to show her that life can be happy. Show her that she has a family that will love her always. That even if she is to experience sadness, she can overcome it, because she is strong enough. I believe that we can help her learn to focus on her blessings and that life is wonderful.  It might be a difficult thing to teach, because at some point, she will see that even here in America, the place she wants to live so badly, there is sadness and tragedy, like Fridays events. But I know with the help of the Lord, we will be able to help her.

I feel so touched by the generosity of people around us. We have been so blessed to receive donations from people both that we know and people that we don't. With the help of all of you we will be able to bring Olena home to her forever family.
People have also been so generous with donations of hats, scarves, gloves, socks and tights. But we still need more. These things, though small will truly bless the lives of these children.

While I wish we could do more, we only have the ability to bring Olena into our home. But there is such a need for families to love these children. If you know anyone that might consider loving one or more of the children let me know. I can get you in touch with the right people.

None of us were able to save the children in Connecticut.  But you can help save one young girl who is alone in an orphanage in Ukraine. You can help us rescue you her from a life of sadness and despair. Please share our story with everyone you know. Please ask them to help us.  Every little bit helps us bring her home.
Lets not let our fears stop us living today. Lets move on with gratitude in our hearts and LIVE the life we were blessed to have, with

No comments: