Monday, February 25, 2013

It's A Girl (or 2)

Not from our flesh or from our bone, 
but still miraculously we call you our own.

 It's with great joy
that we announce the adoption of

Anastasia Grace Maurin, 15 y/o and Olena Victoria Maurin, 14 y/o.

This afternoon the Judge granted us official permission to adopt our daughters. We couldn't be happier.
We started out the day with a trip to the orphange to get Olena, she was coming to court with us. She was as excited as we were to be going. We were given a run down by Sasha about what would happen and the things we needed to say when asked specific questions. It all sounded a little scary but we were assured that it was just a formality and that while occasionally things come up we had done everything needed and there was nothing to worry about.


We arrived at the court house and sat patiently to be allowed in. There were 2 other families there and we all entered the court room together to greet the judge. We then exited and went in one family at a time. We were second and we entered to see the judge and two jury members along with a prosecutor, a representative from the Ministry for adoptions in Izmail and a representative from each of the 3 orphanages. It was a little intimidating.
We were asked to tell a little about ourselves, where we worked, our birth years, where we lived and how many other children we have. Mike was then asked how we met the girls and why we wanted to adopt them. After he was done they asked me if I had anything to add, since I was the person that most of this was going to fall on! I laughed a little and told them that I supported my husband and the decision to adopt the girls and that I had been raised in a home with 10 children and that I was pretty used to having a lot of children around. One of the men sitting next to the judge was grinning at me while I was telling them about that. Who would have thought that the fact that I was from a large family would be so useful! Thanks Mum and Dad!! They asked the representative if thy had any problems with the adoption to which they said no and then the prosecutor asked us about Nastia (since she wasn't with us). Once he was satisfied with how we had made contact with her he also agreed to the adoption. Then they asked Olena a couple of questions. The judge then thought about it for a minute and made his final judgement, allowing us to adopt them. The whole thing took about 15 mins. I was a little emotional (shocking, I know!) but I held it together pretty well.
The took a couple of family pictures and then went out to eat Pizza for a celebratory lunch. Sadly Olena apparently doesn't like cheese so we tried to have her pick something else to eat, but it was a little overwhelming for her. We found something and had a great lunch together.




Sasha Called Nastia to tell her the news and Olena spoke with her for a while. I wish I could tell you what they were saying but the one thing that Olena told us afterwards was that Nastia has a boyfriend that she said she was going to break up with tomorrow, because she knows it will be better in America.I don't know for sure if that means she thinks she will be better off in America or if she thinks there will be better boys in America?? I hope its the first one :)

While we were sitting in the orphanage after court, the three of us were playing angry birds. I know, weird right. But angry birds is a game that transcends language! Anyway, we had a group of about 5 other children come and watch with excitement while we were playing. They were offering help, laughing when we didn't win, and just having a good time with us. A young boy came over and said hello and handed us some candy. He then came back a few minutes later and handed me this

It was so cute. We asked him his name and he told us it was Sasha and that he is 7 years old. He was very smart and acted like he was much older than 7. I wish I could take this boy home with me as well. I think he said he was coming to America in the summer but we couldn't figure out if it was with a hosting group or if a family was coming for him. I hope it is the latter!
Sasha watching Mike play angry birds

Sweet little Sasha

He wanted to keep playing. It was funny because he didn't understand the concept of aiming the birds. But he would laugh every time he missed, and rejoice when he hit something. Such pure joy!!

He kept asking to take picture with me.

So I let him!

All three taking turns playing!

We also got to meet a 14 year old boy named Dima. He came and sat with Olena and I this morning. He was trying to ditch school. He would jump up out of his seat every time an adult would come by and hide behind the columns in the walkway until they were gone. He was also a super sweet boy and quite funny. He let me listen to some of his music and he Olena sang along to some songs for me. He even made a joke about making himself look good when we asked to take his picture. 
I wish I could find a family for him. 

We also had the privilege of finding out after court that Svetta, Olenas very close friend that also came to America last summer, is being adopted. She had just found out and was overjoyed and couldn't wait to tell us. We all hugged her and told her how excited we are for her. Olena was especially excited to know that 2 of her friends will be living in Utah not far from her!! 

What an amazing thing it is to see that pure joy in a child. To see them so excited knowing that someone loves them and wants them. I wish you could all experience it. I wish you could all meet these amazing children. Your lives, like ours have been, would be changed for the better.
We will travel back to Kiev first thing in the morning and then start some paperwork at the Embassy on Wednesday and fly HOME on Thursday!! I can't wait.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like uve had a once in a lifetime opportunity to make a difference to these children's lives. I wish u Good luck 4 the future & hope that many more people will b inspired to do the same. Take care Gemma xxx

Unknown said...

I'm almost in tears reading your post, I am so excited for you and your family. What a wonderful thing this is for everyone. I wish I could see you and give you a big hug.

Maurin Family said...

Thanks Ladies!
Katherine, I am so excited to bring them home, and I can't wait for you to meet them. And, I would love a hug right now :)