Monday, April 8, 2013

Baby Steps

This weekend we had the privilege of listening to the Prophet and his apostles speak to us and give us council from the Lord. I always love General Conference weekends. I feel so uplifted and  inspired to do better, but I also feel for a little while, that while I know there are many areas I can and should improve on, there are also many things that the Lord believes I am doing right! This is a difficult concept for me to believe usually, but on conference weekend, I believe that the talks that are given, were specifically written to answer my prayers and help me understand my divine worth in the sight of the Lord. I am grateful for the messages that we were able to participate in and the feeling of the spirit that was in my home.

I had been concerned about how the girls would react and respond to conference. I didn't want to push anything on them, but I also wanted to have them understand that we believe that it is a special event that should be listened to. So as usual, we pulled out a puzzle to do and tried to turn on the TV. It wouldn't work. We have no idea what happened but we couldn't get any channels on the TV to work. So thanks to the power of technology we were able to watch it on the laptop. The first couple of sessions were not a big hit with the girls but by the time Sunday came around they decided to join us. Sunday afternoon, we figured out that there were other languages available to listen to on line, so we set the girls up on the couch with some headphones and my brothers ipad. They were intently listening to the talks given and laughing at the jokes. They participated and looked like they might have even been enjoying it. When it came time to pray they both prayed. Even when the English version was finished, and there was some talking among my other kids, they kept their eyes closed and focused on the words of the prayer, finishing with them both saying Amen. I know that this doesn't sound like much to most of you, but for us it was a huge leap! We obviously have hope that these girls will want to be members of our religion. We would love nothing more than to have them sealed to our family forever. But that is a choice they have to make and we are not going to force it on them. We are just trying to be an example to them. We are just living our religion hoping and praying that they will notice and want to participate. We will love them no matter what they decide, but I cannot express how profoundly my soul was touched with hope, just by watching them willingly participate in a prayer. ( we have been praying with them as a family, but this is the first time I have seen them doing it when no one else was)
I know that this small baby step doesn't mean that they will be jumping into the waters of baptism any time soon, but it is a step in the right direction.

                                                   IT WAS A GOOD DAY!

No comments: