Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Joy Of Running

Isn't it funny how the very simplist of things can make you just giddy with joy? Well  I felt that this morning while I was running. It has been a long time since I ran outside. We, the Mr. and I got gym memberships a little over a year ago while i was training for my first Ragnar relay. It was getting really really cold outside and we couldn't train everyday in the snow and ice so decided it was time to try the treadmill. Since then we have become a little spoiled. While we ran outside during the summer we haven't yet attempted any running outside pretty much since then. It makes me laugh because before the gym we ran outside because we had to in weather as cold as 17 degrees F. Now we are too wussy to run if there is even a wind blowing, which honestly is all the time where we live.
Today was different. We, well I decided I wanted to try running outside again. It made me a little nervous, and I don't really know why. I think it might have been just the thought that I have to finish the predetermined distance and not quit somewhere along the way because I was feeling tired. It is so easy to do that on the treadmill! But outside, I knew i had to go until I got back home.
It was AMAZING. I was quite literally giddy with happiness and was grinning the whole time I was running. I even danced a little along the way and my husband had to ask me if I was doing the Phoebe run! (fans of friends will no what I am talking about!) It was just so much nicer to be outside in the fresh morning air enjoying the beauty around us. It was dark and I couldn't see much of that beauty, but I new it was there and that was enough for me! I am excited to be training for a few races this summer. I have no illusions about winning them. I am just excited to be able to be a part of them. It really gives me the motivation to get out of bed in the morning and experience this pure joy.
I feel very blessed to be able to have a body that allows me to run. It is so empowering and truly makes me feel better about everything. Life really is good :)
Oh and my device told me that we burned 4 oranges today :) I guess that is a little better.

No comments: