Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Don't Sweat The Little Things!

So while I was running at the gym this morning, I was contemplating my body. I know, strange thing to think about while you run, and yes it wasn't very motivating! But I was watching lots of other people run, (people watching is really fun at the gym!) and they, unlike me were wearing running shorts without anything on under them. When i wear running shorts, like this morning, I am forced to wear compression shorts or leggings on underneath them so that when my shorts ride up they wont cause any chafing. What a horrible thing to have happen while you are trying to run a long way. I have had it happen and it makes running so unpleasant. So I take precautions by wearing the extra layer of clothing. The problem with this is that I am so much hotter then I should be. I am a fairly sweaty person anyway, and the extra layer of clothing just adds to my sweatiness.
So what I was contemplating was this - Will I ever be one of THOSE runners that has a body whose shorts don't ride up when they run? I am not sure i ever will be. Am I okay with that? Well, I am not sure, because I have always dreamed of having thighs that don't touch. When I was younger I would stand in front of the mirror and......... well maybe I shouldn't tell all my secrets!
I guess the real question is, will I let this small thing I don't like about my body be a reason to stop running, something that I now love to do? The answer is a big fat NO! There will always be things that i don't like about myself, always, because I am human. If I let these annoying things I don't like about myself, govern whether or not I did anything in life, I would be pretty unhappy all the time. That is not how I want to live. So, I am going to keep wearing my running shorts with whatever is necessary underneath them and continue to run. If you don't like to see my shorts ride up, then stop looking!!!
In the words of someone i don't remember "don't sweat the little things!" and i wont. (well at least I'll do my best not too :)

No comments: