Friday, January 11, 2013

One More Before We Go

Packing for a trip that I am not sure how long will be is REALLY hard.
I like to have options when I go anywhere, but since we are taking all the donations to the orphans with us I am limited on what I can carry!! (I know!, first world problem :) )

2 DAYS till we leave!!
 
It is also 2 days till I have to say good bye to my brothers. It has been so awesome to have them here visiting for the last couple of weeks. I don't realize how much I miss my family until they are here and I have to tell them goodbye. 7 1/2 years is really too long between visits!! Thanks for visiting and helping with my kids while we are gone. It really is such a blessing to have you both here!!
 
 
I have been feeling like an emotional wreck lately. I cry about everything, (yep I am crying while I am writing this). I know that things will be ok while I am gone, but I am super stressed about it.
I wanted to tell my friends how grateful I am for their willingness to help us out while we are gone. I know that we have great friends and neighbors that will help with my kids whenever it is needed. It really helps lesson the stress. So thank you so much to all those that have offered any help to our family. Especially to Shandee for helping me organize food for my kids and a schedule for while we are gone. You really are an amazing friend to help me when I just couldn't think!!
We have been so blessed by all the help we have received so far along this journey. People from all over the world have been so generous. We could not be heading over to Ukraine without all of you. Thank you for helping us reach this point! We are SO GRATEFUL!!
 
 
I plan to post a lot while we are in Ukraine, so keep looking for updates on our journey. But since I have so much to do and so little time to do it, and now we are covered in snow, which makes doing anything harder. This might be the last post until we are over there!
THANK YOU to everyone that has been supportive of us thus far. We have felt all your prayers on behalf of our family and are touched by the loved and support we have felt by all of you!
 
If you could please keep praying for our family while we are gone it would help ease my mind! We will miss everyone so much, but know this is the only way to get Olena home.
 
 
 

2 comments:

Wendy said...

OK. Here's a few tips - if you can fit them in your bag?
ICE is hard to come by and if you can find it, you're not sure if they used tap water or purified water? If you're an ice lover - bring your own ice tray and use purified water. (I also brought a sports bottle and filled it with ice and water in the morning so I had fresh water all day long.)
Peanut butter - they don't have it.
I also LOVED my Ritz crackers from home.
Appliances - buy a hair dryer there or bring one compatible - even with an adaptor they will burn out. I found a curling iron too but it took me about five days.
The chocolate and dairy are amazing there but watch out for their rolls - they're usually filled with some sort of meat, like liver!
When shopping you need to weigh all your produce yourself - they don't do it at the check out stand and bags cost so if they're asking you something at the check out it's usually do you want a bag and just nod.
I secretly bought a few things without my Alex seeing - one of my favorites was a Father Christmas - a nice one to add to our Christmas decorations and incorporate his heritage into our family. We also bought a nice chess set. The best place to shop is outside the SDA along the cobble streets. BE BOLD - negotiate a better price - they know you're American and they think we're all Donald Trumps.
Hang on to your heart. You will see sadness - at the orphanage and in the streets.
Not sure of your region but the good news is that it's been warmer in Dniprozerzink and Kiev than it is here!
Godspeed my blog friend.

Maurin Family said...

THANK YOU! Such fabulous suggestions. So great to know someone that has been through this!