Tuesday, October 30, 2012

A Little Scripture Studying Goes A Long Way!

While doing some much needed scripture study this morning I came across some insight into Nephi's broken bow experience, that I can very easily apply to me and our family.

Elder Richard G Scott taught that adversity can help stimulate necessary growth in our lives:
"May i share with you some suggestions with you who face the testing that a wise Heavenly Father determines is needed even when you are living a worthy, righteous life and are obedient to his commandments.
Just when all seems to be going right, challenges often come in multiple doses applied simultaneously. When those trials are not consequences of your disobedience, they are evidence that the Lord feels you are prepared to grow more. He therefore gives you experiences that stimulate growth, understanding and compassion which polish you for your everlasting benefit. To get you from where you are to where HE wants you to be, requires a lot of stretching and that generally entails discomfort and pain."

Elder Robert D Hales continues on with this:
"I have come to understand how useless it is to dwell on the whys, what ifs and if onlys for which there likely will be given no answers in mortality. To receive the Lords comfort, we must exercise faith. The questions Why me? Why our family? Why now? are usually unanswerable questions. These questions detract from our spirituality and can destroy our faith. We need to spend our time and energy building our faith by turning to the Lord and asking for strength to overcome the pains and trials of this world and to endure to the end for greater understanding."

I think I already understood that when we are sent trials the Lord is trying to hep us grow from them. He understands better then we do what we need to make us stronger.
I am however, someone that mummers and asks those unanswerable questions frequently, while going through a trial, and sadly sometimes they aren't even terrible trials! I need to better focus on the Lord and better understand, that these small things will pass and I will be stronger because of them, thanks to a loving Heavenly Father who wants to make more of me then I could alone!
So I will continue to push on. I will pray more fervently for strength and I will try my best to not be someone that complains about the trials I am given, because I really do know that they are for my good.
I love the Scriptures :)

No comments: