Tuesday, December 18, 2012

A Bump In The Road

We have hit a BUMP.



We found out last night that Olena has an older sister that is in a different orphanage. This was something that I had heard earlier and were concerned about, but we were unsure it was true.

We are told it shouldn't be a problem, (although everything else I have heard says that they don't like to split up sibling groups). But it will cause us more paperwork then normal, and a longer stay in country. This could be problematic.

What we found out was that she has a sister, but we are unsure if she is a full sister or half sister. She doesn't live in the same town as Olena, and they only have very minimal contact. She is 1 year older than Olena and we also know that she doesn't want to be adopted., but has no problem with Olena being adopted.
After we have received permission to continue with the process from the SDA, we will then be given permission to contact her and ask her for a letter stating it is ok for Olena to be adopted. There is then what's called a guardianship committee that meets and goes over the separation paperwork that we have compiled and decides if it's ok for us to continue. That process could take up to 2 extra weeks! Since the committee rotates through people we may or may not be asked to meet with them. It all depends who is sitting on the committee at the time we present them with our paperwork.

Again we are told that this shouldn't be a problem, it will just prolong our journey a little bit. I (being my usual self) am still feeling a little uneasy about it all. I understand that for the most part it is just paperwork. And I understand that Olenas sister must have already been contacted, for them to be able to determine that she is not interested, but is ok for her sister to be adopted. But I can't help but be nervous that she might change her mind. If she chooses to refuse to give her permission, my understanding is, that we wont be able to continue. This would be heartbreaking.

So I am asking again for your prayers. We need for her sister to give permission for Olena to be with us. We also need for the process to take the least amount of time possible. We will be having some family watch our kids, but to be gone an extra 2 weeks could be too much.

For those of you that don't know me well, The Mr and I have never been away from our kids for more then 2 days EVER. And that has only happened once! I don't do so well leaving my kids in other peoples care. I understand that other people are very capable of taking care of them, but I also know that sometimes my kids struggle with things. I don't like to know that I am not there to help them through their struggles lovingly. That other people will form negative opinions about them because they may see them behave in different ways then their own kids. I am what you would call a control freak, I guess!
This time away from them should be enjoyable, but I am worried that it will be stressful for reasons other then the adoption.


So PLEASE PRAY that it can go quickly and that we can overcome this


Bump in the road and continue smoothly with our journey.

No comments: