Thursday, September 6, 2012

The Home Study

Our Monday sale didn't turn out quite as well as the rainy Saturday. But we did manage to sell a few things, and every little bit counts toward our goal. We are going to try it one more time this coming Saturday the 8th and see how much of our stuff we can sell this week. So once again tell your friends about it and come check it out. Sorry if you are getting sick of hearing that! :)

Tuesday was a very big day for me. I had planned to get our house clean over the weekend, but the weekend ended up being kind of consumed with the yard sale. So I woke up very stressed and very anxious and very emotional. Not a very good combination for the Mr!!! I tried to take his advice and just clean one room at a time. I literally work all day and with the help of my wonderful kids, after they got home from school, all but my bedroom got scrubbed! The stress was really unnecessary, because when the wonderful social worker came over all we did was sit in the living room and chat. We had a great conversation about my memories of childhood and  how being in my family has helped me to be a better parent. Also we talked about how the Mr and I met and what drew me to him and made me want to date him. She asked each of the children what loved to do most with their family and what they liked to do at school and what their hobbies are. She asked the Mr and I to describe our parents in a few words and other family related stuff. She also talked with us about the issues that might arise from adopting children out of the system. She related many stories of the 11 children she has adopted and the struggles she has had with many of them. She offered great insight into helping a child fit into our family and helping our own children adjust to a new family member. Over all it was not the scary experience I had imagined it would be. And I got a beautifully clean home, at least for a few hours! It's not so great today :( Suzanne, the social worker told us she would try and get it done quickly for us and she really did. Today I received a copy of the home study in my email to proof read. I am assuming that she now just needs to get it notarized and then she will mail it to us. Which means we passed and it was a success! I am so excited about this because now with a current home study we are eligible to apply for adoption grants! This is wonderful because we really need them now that things are properly underway.

The next step is to get our immigration documents sent out. Then comes about a 4 week wait while they process them. Lets hope they are feeling generous and rush them through!


No comments: