Thursday, December 12, 2013

Our latest....


Life in the Maurin Family house is never boring! It is sometimes a struggle, but it is never boring.

Yesterday we celebrated the 1st of 5 birthdays this month. It was my youngest child Carter's 7th birthday. It is hard for me to believe, and I made jokes with him and the other kids last night, that he is that old. I don't feel like I am old enough to have my baby be 7 years old. But sadly I am. I was also reminded that I have a 16 year old daughter, so I must be old enough (she will be 16 very soon).

Carter makes life in our house very interesting, ALL THE TIME! he is a whirlwind of energy and can get himself into trouble without even thinking, but he is a joy to have in our family. I also know that  Heavenly Father very wisely saved him for last so that I would not stop having kids!!! 




He is a funny child!!

A lot has been going on since I last updated. So let me quickly touch on the interesting stuff.

Olenas best friend Svetta, from Ukraine, (we have some pictures of her on here) was adopted and now lives in Utah. We get to see her every couple of weeks and she has even come and stayed with us a few times. We love having her here and are  so excited that she has a family that loves her. She was baptized a couple of weekends ago and asked our family to be a part of it. We of course accepted, even Nastia, who reluctantly accepted to say her first public prayer. The chapel was full of people and when it was time she got up nervously and offered a beautiful prayer (in Russian). She was very proud of herself and a little embarrassed when she was done. I was so proud and it made me quite emotional. Next Olena was asked to give a talk on Baptism. I helped her write it but asked her to share her own experience and feelings from when she was baptized. Her testimony and her poise while speaking were beautiful to watch. Again I was emotional. After Olena the rest of the kids and I were asked to sing. We chose a song that they had already sung in our ward, but I jumped in and sang with them. Not the best idea!! I was already emotional at all the things the girls had just done. I can not be trusted to sing anymore without crying. I tried, and I held it together for a little while until I saw someone else crying and then, that was it for me. But overall the song turned out great and Svetta and her family and the other guests that were there all appreciated our efforts.


These 3 beautiful girls Natasha, Svetta, and Olena. All friends from the same orphanage, all with new families! YAY!!

Stasia and Lucy!

Svetta and her Dad

Me and Miranda after the Baptism

Party games!



Begging for candy! (maybe)





looks like she killed it!




New Member!

Svetta and her sister Stasia


Best Friends!! (They sure have come a long way!)
                                              
                                                  
I was also given an opportunity to help the kids learn how to recognize the spirit. I have the privilege of being part of an organization that collects food from grocery stores that they would ordinarily throw away, (things like day old bread or close to use by stuff or damaged boxes, things they can't sell) and taking it to a food pantry. Well this particular day the food pantry was not open. I had a car FULL of food and no where to take it. So instead of getting rid of it, I decided to take it to people that needed it. Only we didn't know anyone that needed it. So The kids helped me pack it in bags and load it back into the car. We prayed and asked for direction and decided to just follow the promptings of the spirit. We drove around our town to the homes of people we didn't know and I waited for the children to tell me where to stop. On more then 1 occasion all the kids (including a couple of our neighbors) all pointed to the same house and said "that one, definitely that one!" Each of the kids and Mike took turns doorbell ditching the food at these houses. It was a really fun activity. We will never know if the people we gave bags of food too actually needed it, but it was an incredible experience to feel the spirit in our car and to see the kids listening to the promptings of the Spirit.

An update on the progress of the girls!
The girls have been with us in America for almost 9 moths. I am constantly asked how everything is going with them? How they are doing? My usually answer is "It's going....!" Here is a little breakdown.
Olena has transitioned really well. She is progressing at school and is not having to have her work modified much, if at all. She is speaking pretty fluently in English and even sometimes has forgotten how to say things in Russian. She is doing great.
Nastia has come in leaps and bounds from when she arrived here almost 9 months ago. She is understanding almost everything you say to her (sometimes she pretends she doesn't, don't let her fool you!) There are obviously big words that she doesn't understand, but the use of the translator is very minimal now. She is progressing as well as is expected in school. She doesn't like going, and frequently there are battles of wills when it comes to homework. Her teachers all love her though and say she works well in class. She is feeling more and more like we are her family but with that comes behavioral things that weren't evident when she was in honeymoon phase! We are all learning the new rules :) I am still unsure if she really likes me sometimes and that can be hard on me emotionally. But she is starting to open up a little more some days and will at least tell me (after some pushing) why she is mad at me. Plus with her turning 16 soon, comes some fears and reminders of what would have happened to her if she were still in Ukraine. We are trying to help her know that she is safe and will always have a place to live and people that love her.  Over all, even though there are some struggles she is doing remarkably well. I feel  blessed that the Lord allowed me to be their mother.


Christmas is coming and we are not at all prepared. But we are on our way. I feel a little overwhelmed with trying to make sure that the girls have the best Christmas ever! Really what I need to do is just make it a good one. I think that no matter what happens this year will be amazing for all of us. Our family is together and they are going to experience what Christmas is supposed to feel like. We already went Christmas caroling, what could be more festive then that?? :)


2 comments:

Trisha said...

I found your blog through the Dille's. You are doing a great job! It is remarkable the progress these girls have made. Great job mom! :)

MarenDille said...

I love this post!! So upbeat and fun to see how awesome the transition is going. You are an incredible person, Debbie. I love your heart and how big it is.