Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Why???

So today started out great. C even made a point of telling me that he was going to listen because he didn't want to get yelled at today. At least he tried!!
I was sitting in the office finishing up my blog writing for the day when I smelled something terrible. This particular smell can always be associated with my son. So I asked him if he had in fact pooped and if it was in his pants. He answered yes to both questions. GRRR. I have decided that growling at him doesn't do any good it just makes the situation worse, so ever so nicely I got up and went to talk with him about it. I checked and found out that he hasn't actually done anything more then the usual skids in his pants and he is sitting on the toilet. So everything should be okay, right? Wrong.
I have an uncanny sense of smell and of course I could still smell something. So I ask him, "C did you wipe the poop anywhere?" He look sheepishly up at me and says "yes". GRRRRR
I head into his room, because that is where it always is (yes, this has happened a few time before) and find smears on the carpet like he has skidded along the ground, like a dog, trying to clean himself. I growled a little, cause lets be honest who wouldn't and then ask him if it is anywhere else. He says yes again and points to his train table, which after finding the lovely decoration, I tell him that he will no longer have possession of.
WHY??? Why does he keep doing this?? What am i supposed to do with him?? I have tried all kinds of punishments and none seem to work for him. He says he understands that he shouldn't touch his poop, that it can in fact make him really sick and he knows that it is just gross for me to have to clean it up all the time. But while he is mad at his punishment, it doesn't seem to stop him doing the same thing over again.
He is a smart kid and he is also very independent. I think this is where he gets himself in to trouble all the time. But why can't he just get this!!!!
So what started out as a great morning has become this disgusting afternoon.
If you have any suggestions please let me know them. I am so tired of cleaning the poop smell out of his and T's room.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Why are you cleaning it up? He knows it's wrong and knows it can make him and many others sick b/c of the germs. Make him do it. Every time he does this. Make him take his clothes and wash them himself...by cleaning them out in the tub and then the washer. He measures and pours out the soap, everything. Then, he has to clean up every little smear, skid mark, all of it out of the carpet, toys and tables. Make him really scrub and work. (Of course, you'll have to go behind him and make sure it's all out and sanitized) This is something that works for us. Ethan drew on the door, he had to scrub it off, he's never done it again. Tell him he has to be suffer the consequences when he clearly knows what he is doing is wrong. Good luck with it! Sounds like he's making a habit out of it. I hope it's broken soon.

Maurin Family said...

He does have to clean it up. I have always made my kids do that, and for the others it was a deterrent, but he actually says to me that it isn't hard!
He is my hard child. He has a very strong will and I need to figure out how to bend it in the right direction.
We will figure it out eventually.
Plus he doesn't do it out of habit, i think it is something else!
Thanks for the thoughts :)