Thursday, March 10, 2011

My Pear Obsession

I am not afraid to admit that I am a little obsessive sometimes. One of the areas in my life where I have always been a little obsessive is with my body. Throughout my whole life, looking in a mirror was the worst part of my day. This hasn't really changed since I have been married and i am afraid that it probably never will. This is just a part of my personality that I need to learn to live with and do the best I can to not focus my energy on it.
My goal lately though is to lose 10 pounds. I know I should have a date I want to lose it by, to keep me motivated to do it. But, honestly if I could see even the slightest improvement on the scale each week I know that would be motivation enough to keep up all the hard work I feel like I am doing, for as long as it takes.
This week I came to the realization that part of my problem is that i don't consume enough calories for my metabolism to work right. I just don't really enjoy eating. So even though I am working my bum off I am unable to lose weight. I know that I don't always eat great, but I feel like I put enough work in, and something good should be happening.
SO, I found an app for my phone called Calorific and I am enjoying it. It is helping me keep track of my calories without having to weigh everything I eat, which lets be honest, unless you are on the biggest loser it isn't something that normal people do! Along with this app came a trial of another app that helps track calorie output. SO i decided to try it this morning when I went to the gym. It worked great and after 40 mins of hills on the stationary bike I hit end and it said:

"Congratulations you just burned 198 calories!! 198 calories = 2 pears!!!!!

REALLY!!! Could the stupid thing not tell me I just burned off a snickers bar, i think that would have made me feel like my hard work was at least worth something good!!! (plus I really burned about 270, maybe 3 pears!)
The Mr didn't understand why this was so upsetting to me. So I obsessed a little longer about it and then told my neighbors, who all totally agreed with me. I think that this train of thought might just be a girl thing, and that's okay.
As frustrated as I was by that (and I was truly upset, stupid I know!) I understand that it doesn't really mean anything. Yes, I want to lose weight and I will still work as hard as I can to reach my goal but the truth is I just feel better when I work out so I am going to continue to do it and work off as many pears as I can until I reach my goal.


No comments: