Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Perfect Man!

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, 
But by learning to see an imperfect person, perfectly."
                                                                                                                  - Sam Keen

When we are young, (I'm not sure if boys do this) at some point, we each make a list of what our perfect man would be like. We imagine the perfect qualities our future boyfriend or husband WILL have. I say will, because we never imagine that we will settle for anything less than what is on the list. Sometimes it's only an imaginary list, but other times, some of us actually write that list down. I was one of those girls that actually wrote it down. I remember my list. I don't remember how old I was when I wrote it, but I very specifically remember the things on it (it wasn't very long) and the reasons I felt I wanted those things.

I wanted 
A tall dark and handsome man (I liked the rugged kind of man!)
Someone with a sense of humor
Someone that would treat me well. 
And of course I wanted to marry a rich man!! (doesn't every young girl)
Growing up I always felt a little awkward and was never someone that had boyfriends. I was always just "The Friend". Over time my ideas about what the perfect man was changed, and so did my list. Things were added and taken off, but the things above remained. I knew I wanted someone that would make me laugh and treat me well. I just wasn't sure how to find him.
this is me not long before I came to America

I decided to stop looking. I decided to take a vacation and meet some new people. I had saved all my money for a Mission that I chose to not do, and instead used it to take a year long working vacation to America and Europe.
I came to Utah first to visit with some people I knew. I planned to stay in Utah for 6 months and then go to England and Europe for about the same amount of time. Things didn't work out that way :)
4 weeks after arriving in America I was introduced to Mike. I was told (after expressing a little interest) that he was not the dating type. IF he asked me out I should only expect a phone call on the weekend, IF he had nothing else to do. Apparently while these people were his friends they didn't seem to think that he was someone that wanted to settle down in any way! They were wrong :)
We did go out, and he did call me every day after, and we saw each other every day after, until I left for England. His friends were shocked and confused and wondered what I had done to him.
I was shocked and confused that someone like him would be interested in someone like me.
Mike and I just after we started dating.(Yep I look weird. See why I was so confused!)

I feel like I cheated a little. I got my perfect man. He is everything I had dreamed of as a young girl, (with the exception of the rich part. But I feel rich when I am with him, so I think that counts!!)
I am SO grateful that he followed the advice of Sam Keen and found love not by looking for a perfect person but by seeing my imperfections as a perfect match for him.

We have come a long way in 14 years. We have 6 amazing children that bring joy (and craziness) to our lives every day. It has been an amazing journey so far and I hope and pray it will continue for many more years to come.
Mike I love you. Thank for putting up with my weirdness and loving me anyway. 
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY
Then (1999)


Now (2013)

1 comment:

Stina said...

You are a great couple! And I love how you have kept your spark. Happy anniversary!!