Monday, April 29, 2013

Small Steps

My posts seem to be getting few and far between, but I promise I will continue to keep you updated on our progress and family life.

Life is, well, going along. I am not sure I would say smoothly exactly, but there haven't been any MAJOR problems. We have had some minor upsets, that we can't understand and I am feeling a little nutty most of the time. I can't seem to get caught up on anything, but I am told that is normal no matter how your children came to you. I think we usually, get get the luxury of getting used to it over time. I don't have that. Yes I know, I chose this and I am really fine with it. It is just overwhelming sometimes when I look around at my house and wonder how did the kids wear so many clothes and how and why are they always everywhere!! I am still a roller coaster of emotions most days and I realize that is hard for most people to understand. So if you ask me, I will tell you that things are going okay, and for the most part that is very true. If you choose to dig much deeper than that, you might get cried on! You never can tell what I might be feeling at any given time.     :)

English lessons are coming a long slowly, but we had what felt like a small breakthrough yesterday. Nastia spoke to me in English for the first time and didn't use Olena or a translator device to help her. She spoke slowly and only said a few words, but I was so excited. She first asked me if she could call a friend, Daniel (he is Russian) and then later she spoke to Miranda and asked to use her computer. I nearly jumped out of my skin with excitement! I am hopeful that her enthusiasm for learning will continue this week and she will be able to take some more small steps in her communication. I think if she could communicate better with those around her she would feel a lot more comfortable making friends outside of Miranda and Olena.

We had the privilege of attending the baptism on Saturday of Albina and Alina Truax. They are 2 of the 3 children that were adopted at the same time as my girls by some friends of ours. We had some adversity the morning of the baptism that made us late, but we fought through it and got there just as the girls were done being baptized. I was a little sad that Olena and Nastia didn't get to watch that part of it, but they did get to hear one of the talks in Russian and I am hopeful that they understood the message and felt the spirit that was very strongly present. We are hopeful that when the time comes for them to learn about the gospel properly, they will both be equally as excited as these two girls were at their baptism. I am so happy for the Truax family and their upcoming sealing to their new family members. What a great day that will be.
Olena had a great time visiting with her friend and I loved being able to chat with a fellow adoptive parent and I loved knowing that I am not alone in the everyday trials that come with this journey.

my girls visiting with Alina after baptism

Olena and Alina

My kids, Albina, Alina, the Missionaries and Mariya.

all the kids!

couldn't help but take a picture of our kids


\\

No comments: