Thursday, August 8, 2013

My Beautiful Garden

I found this quote today and I loved it. I truly believe it to be true. Each one of our children our so very different. But they each make our world beautiful! Children are born with such strong personalities, which sometimes can cause them heartache and problems. Our children have struggled their whole lives with just that. They are strong willed and enthusiastic, opinionated and sometimes bossy. They are intelligent but sometimes they don't think, and they like all of us, say things that offend people or make bad choices that cause them to be sad. I am sure that my kids are just like yours, or maybe they aren't. Maybe your kids are the perfect ones, and my kids are the ones that struggle. I will never now, and honestly it doesn't matter. I love my children even though they struggle sometimes. I love them for their individuality. I love them for their willingness to stand up for things. I love them for their strength and their love. They make my world a brighter and more interesting (sometimes frustrating) place.

I share this with you because yesterday I had to watch all of them struggle and it was hard. During this incident there were things said by my children, to my children and about my children that were hurtful and mean, and that made all involved very sad. It was a hard day. While watching and participating in this sad day, I was reminded that each of us as parents raise our children very differently. We each have an idea about what will be the best for them. Sometimes those ideas are wrong and we have to change our plans according to the needs of the child. There is no cookie cutter recipe for raising a child. The way you and I do things may be different but it is what we feel is right for each one of our children. In the end what we all want is to raise our children to be well adjusted functioning adults.
I want people to love my children, all of them, but I understand that not everyone will. I understand that some will see their struggles and write them off. I understand that sometimes people, maybe even the people that should be the closest to them, will turn away. It will hurt and it will be sad, but I need my kids to know that no matter what happens, or who chooses to not love them, I ALWAYS WILL. I will ALWAYS fight for them. 



I will always try to remember to see my children for who they are and not what people think they should be. Even though sometimes they may make bad choices, I have some GREAT kids.

Everyone of my children are different, but they are all perfect in their own way. I will try to never overlook the uniqueness that my children bring into the world, just because someone else may not see it as perfect.

This quote made me laugh because sometimes it is so hard to pretend. Our family is not normal and it's okay  to not be. Who decides what is normal anyway!?!

Try to always keep a smile on your face. This is a lesson I am constantly trying to teach my children. We have the ability to choose how we feel each day. We each can choose how we respond to things that are said and done to each of us. When we choose to turn the corners of our mouths upwards, we will learn that things aren't always as bad as they seem. A smile will help spread happiness throughout your family.

I will never let my kids forget these very wise words. They are all these things and more.

Please try not to judge any of my kids on their occasional thorns. They are all part of my beautiful garden, and even with their thorns and prickles, I believe they are amazing. If you could see them the way the Lord sees them you would also see their beauty.






2 comments:

Stina said...

Your children are beautiful. I was reminded of this at the baptism and again when on Sunday as they sang. I am grateful they are my kids' friends. They love your kids. Hope everything works out. :)

The McEacherns said...

Hi there! It's a long story, but we are interested in adopting one of the girls who came on the same hosting program as your daughter last summer. Can you please get in touch with me? We leave for Ukraine in a couple weeks, so sooner would be better than later! Thanks! Marcie jtm_mjm@yahoo.com